Monday, July 16, 2007

Top movies filmed in Oregon

The Goonies Action Figures made me think about movies made in Oregon... and so I started poking around. It turned into quite the list. I didn't include for consideration a few movies that were partially filmed in Oregon such as The Shining and Black Stallion. but here's my top 15 in reverse order.

15. The Postman (1997)

"Tell me something: How much mail can a
dead postman deliver?"


On the list because one of the greatest big budget flops of all time deserves to be here

14. Kindergarten Cop (1990)

"It’s not a TUMAH!!!"


Ahnold stars as an undercover cop in a class all by himself. The Big Fella. A pack of kids. A hot mom. Astoria. This movie had great written all over… But potential is often a four-letter word.


13. The Hunted (2003)

What happens when the hunter becomes the hunted?

Probably doesn’t deserve to be on this list but is there for two reasons. 1) On the heels of 9-11 paranoia, prop explosions freaked a ton of Portlanders out who then promptly called the Anti-Terrorist Task Force in to investigate the loud bangs. 2) Me and some friends made my friend some panties with a picture of Benicio Del Torro on them with the quotation “BDT was here” after she went on a date with the hunk.


12. Elephant (2003)

At IMDB for plot synopsis it says: “Plot synopsis is empty.” And while this is true, this movie filmed at Whitaker Middle School is beautifully shot and won the Best Director and Golden Palm at Cannes.

11. Free Willy (1993)

A 12 year old street kid. A 3 ton orca whale. A friendship you could never imagine. An adventure you’ll never forget.

Well, I’ve sorta forgot a lot of Free Willy, to be honest, other than that it was filmed in Astoria and Cannon Beach. I even forgot that it starred Michael Madsen. But this movie is really on here because of Willy (aka Keiko). The movie led to a nation-wide fund raiser to find Keiko a better home which helped move him from an amusement park in Mexico City to Newport, Oregon. Ah, those whales do need a better screen actors guild.

10. Body of Evidence (1993)

An act of love or an act of murder? Well, one thing’s for certain. Madonna makes it clear that it’s not a crime to be a great lay as she diddles leading man, Willem Dafoe, in this film featuring the Pittock Mansion. We all remember the hot wax scene. Don’t we? Or at least remember where we were when we first saw it. Don't we?

9. Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)

First they blew into town… then they BLEW IT UP!!!

Tim Conway and Don Knotts were gods to me as a youth. That’s enough for this movie made in Bend.

8. My Own Private Idaho (1992)

"I 'm a connoisseur of roads. I've been tasting roads my whole life. This road will never end. It probably goes all around the world."


Young Portland boys that live on the streets and sell themselves to men for money and drugs. So true… except I’ve never seen any Portland street kids that look as good as this cast…

7. The River Wild (1994)

The vacation is over.

A large part of this movie was filmed in Grants Pass. This is the movie that made us all realize that Kevin Bacon could play a really wicked bad guy… And props for an early John C. Reilly role.

6. Short Circuit (1986)

"Number Five is alive!!!"


Steve Guttenberg was my third man-crush and this was the first time I thought Ally Sheedy was hot. This movie was filmed in several parts of Oregon, including Portland, Astoria, and the Gorge.

5. Animal House (1978)

"We got to do something… You know what we’re gonna do? Toga Party!!!"


One of the greatest comedies of all time was filmed at a frat house in Eugene.

4. Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

"Don't ever put a hat on a bed!"


The third Gus movie on this list, but probably his best. It was filmed mostly in Portland and many locations and pharmacies around town served as landmarks for this film that received many independent awards.

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Filmed primarily in Salem, this movie garnered 5 Oscars and 28 other awards. It is the most celebrated film ever made in Oregon.

2. Stand by Me (1986)

"Mickey’s a mouse. Donald’s a duck. Pluto’s a dog. What’s goofy?"

First, because of this movie, I ran all over town telling everyone that they just screwed the pooch... not really sure what it meant. Second, after watching this movie, I packed a hanky and actually thought about roughing it for a few days up and down the train tracks that ran through my little hometown... but I couldn't convince my pal Mikey to come along and that was that.

It was filmed all over Oregon and nominated for an Oscar.


1. Goonies (1985)

Goonies never say die!!!


"OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life."


Of course Goonies is at the top of this list. What is there to say?



Honorable Mentions
Without Limits (aka Pre) (1998)
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1994)
Mr. Holland's Opus (1995)
Foxfire (1996)
Mean Creek (2004)



The Golden Years

Really, though, 1984 and 1985 were golden years in Oregon filmmaking with
Goonies, Stand by Me, and Short Circuit being made in this fine state. Wow. Think about that. When I was just a wee lad, I was in somewhat close proximity to River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Kiefer Sutherland, Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenburg, Fisher Stevens, Sean Astin, Jonathan Ke Quan (Dr. Jones!!!), and Joe Pantoliano (Joe Pants!). It’s a wonder I never bumped into any of these folks. But then again, Newberg, Oregon was hardly a hotbed of celebrity activity. The closest thing I had to a random celebrity sighting as a child was seeing Wally Backman walking through Washington Square Mall when I was 8. Of course, I did go to a Kevin Duckworth autograph signing at a GI Joes once. I told him he had big shoes and he told me that was rude.



Anyway, Oregonians. Hope you enjoy a modest exploration of our great state's film history. Perhaps I should turn this into a book...